Monday 3 October 2016

Beachside Bubble

I'm writing this blog after banging my phone several times against the bed, turning it on and off again a few times, and generally yelling at it. My phone has been struggling with the humidity, and the couple of scratches it picked up in Australia. So far I've been relatively patient with it. Today I am not. I have just come back from three days of blissful peace, of no wifi and only 6 hours of electricity (6pm-midnight). It's been incredible.

The first day I finished the book I'd been chugging my way through. The second day I'd read an entire second book by 11am. In the afternoon, I learnt how to play backgammon, as well as a Cambodian card game, before challenging my competitors (three kiwis and a fellow Brit) to a game of Exploding Kittens. In the evening, we chatted at the bar whilst they drank cocktails, and I had a sprite or two.

The third day in the morning my games partners left so I had a quieter day - I had a wander down the beach and wrote  some of my diary (I'm up to Bangkok now so I've almost caught up!). The afternoon I finished another book, and did some puzzles. I watched the sunset and did my good deed by collecting a whole bag of litter that the locals had left on the beach.

And now I am back, fighting with my phone, dealing with tourists, staying in dorms with strangers who don't bother talking to me, wishing I could have stayed longer in my little beachside bubble. Probably a good job I only got there at the end of my trip - I may never have left otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment