Tuesday 13 September 2016

Cameron Highlands

I'll be honest, my first night in the Cameron Highlands was not my best. When I went to book the bus in KL, I had planned on getting the 1130 bus. Turns out this one was full, as was the next. So I had to get a bus at 345pm, and I'd arrived at the bus station at 10.15am. Now in hindsight, I really should have gone back into the city, had a wander, found somewhere to sit and watch the crowds. But in my head, my day was to be spent travelling, so I spent a long and dull 6 hours at the bus station. I did a little people watching, I read my book, I bought that meal I was talking about before, I bought new flip flops, and some shampoo. It was ok. As was the shorter than expected bus journey. And then I found my hostel without a map - something that I am apparently getting good at. But it wasn't the day I had planned in my head, and it threw me off and left me feeling very out of sorts, for want of a better description. I lay in my bed hating it. The people weren't friendly (in truth I hadn't given them a chance) and the bed had bed bugs (it definitely didn't, and the rational part of my brain knew that!) and I was never going to sleep. I had two nights here and then I was getting out as soon as I could because I was definitely going to hate it here.

I woke up at 6.15am (having slept) to a street light in my eyes and the sound of roadworks. Not the best wake up, but regardless I was feeling a little more positive than the night before. After a chat with the hostel staff, I picked a route through the forest trails and headed off for a short hike. Unsurprisingly this made me feel much better and I found I actually really liked the Cameron Highlands. Its cool climate, nice trails and noisy insects make for some good walking. My route ended up at a local market which I also wandered through, before relaxing in a cafe and watching the world go by.

That evening was much more fun, uno and cooking with the people in my hostel (almost all Germans!) and eating yummy food! I also booked onto a tour of the local area for the next morning, which was great! The guide was so good, pointing out flowers that we never would have seen, or even if we had, we'd never have known the details - that if you crush this leaf, it smells like tiger balm, but it's not what they use to make tiger balm, and this berry comes before the flower, not after, and it's good for sore throat (but tastes like my herbal toothpaste!). We went to a tea plantation, and a strawberry farm, and generally had a very informative and educational morning!

I'm glad I got over my determination to dislike the Cameron Highlands, because it's a beautiful place! On to Penang next...

No comments:

Post a Comment