Monday 19 September 2016

I Wasn't Expecting That

Malaysian Summary
In truth, I probably should have stayed in Malaysia longer. I could have spent at least another two days in Kuala Lumpur, and probably another three or four in Penang, but I felt like I had to keep moving, otherwise I was never going to get through everywhere I wanted to go. But I don't want to feel like I rushed through everywhere, that I missed things, that I should have lingered. So I have pretty much decided to cut Vietnam out of this trip. To spend a week and a half in each Thailand and Cambodia. Or a week in Thailand and two weeks in Cambodia. We'll see how it works out. But I'm not rushing anywhere.

Thailand
Well Bangkok is not what I expected. When I think of Bangkok, I think of the nights, the partying westerners, the shows, and the scamming and pick pocketing that is rife in the country. And that is pretty much what you get. At night*. But during the day, wow. The city is full of culture, tradition, noise, fun - even the message coming from the Grand Palace telling you to not believe people who say it is closed (a typical Thai scam) starts with a tuneful melody, instead of just your average "bing bong". And then in amongst the tourist chaos, there are these serene little oases (is that the plural of oasis?!) of green parks, calm, shady, quiet. Even inside the most touristic places (yes that's a word, my phone spelt it for me!) there are spaces of calm, to sit and watch the world go by. And then there's the river, full of boat taxis transporting people along, tourists and locals alike, past the Bangkok skyline. And the skyline (the underground, but in the air) with its air con trains that run on time, smoothly transporting you without hassle through the sky.

I wasn't expecting to like Bangkok. But I really do.

*Not that I've really been out at night, but I could guess from the noise coming from outside my first hostel!

No comments:

Post a Comment