Sunday 11 September 2016

Kuala Lumpur

The past few days in Kuala Lumpur have been great. In my three days here, I have had dinner with Gwen (a Malaysian friend who I met in India), watched a fountain, watched people, been to several markets, a football match, a temple and a cave and had a few meals with Sophie, a friend who I used to work with, and her sister and sister's boyfriend. It's been great to catch up with friends, gossip, trade travel stories and explore in the comfort of familiar faces.

It's hard to describe Kuala Lumpur, but I think Gwen put it best. It's the melting pot of Asia. It's everything in one place. Chinese, Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian - you want it, it's here. I couldn't tell you what is traditional Malaysian from my time here, but I can tell you that KL was the best place to start my journey, even if I didn't have friends here. I would have stayed longer, but the public holidays in Malaysia this week (Monday AND Friday!) meant hostels were booking up quickly in the places I wanted to go to, so I made a decision and I'm off.

And I'm ready to go it alone now. I've had some local food (top tip from Gwen - in Malaysia, the more red it is, the more spicy it is!), I've been on a train, I bought a bus ticket (being British, I enjoyed standing in the queue for almost an hour!) and I'm off to the Cameron Highlands today ready for the next adventure :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment